June is the international awareness month for Developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH).
DDH is a common and preventable cause of childhood disability. Unfortunately, a late diagnosis of the condition leads to a higher chance of needing surgery and a higher risk of long-term complications. Despite the introduction of national screening programmes, which in some cases also include universal screening of newborns, late diagnosis of the condition still occurs.
It is of vital importance that Steps, along with international organisations, work together to reduce late diagnosis and improve training and education of healthcare professionals involved in the physical examination of neonates and infants.
As a late diagnosis is usually detected after 3 months of age, a further assessment after the six to eight-week check should be introduced as part of the national guidelines.
This month join us to raise awareness of a preventable disability and support families and individuals impacted by the condition.
Please change your profile picture to engage with friends, family, and colleagues and get people talking about Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH). But most importantly, to show your support towards children, families and inviduals impacted by DDH.
WANT TO DO MORE? Come on…you know you want to!
Spreading the word that early diagnosis with Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH) can make a difference! It can mean the difference between living pain-free or living a lifetime of suffering and discomfort.
Helping couldn’t be easier, and we will support you every step of the way. There are many ways you can make a difference, but here are a few suggestions from us:
- Share our social media posts throughout the next two weeks…awareness could save a child from living a lifetime of suffering and discomfort.
- Share your DDH story with us and let us publish it across our social media platforms.
- Go that little bit further, and contact your local newspaper and radio stations about your experiences.
- Join our 40th anniversary Hula Hoop Hip Challenge – get the hula hoop spinning around your waist and see who can keep it going the longest. Set your challenge; is it hula hooping for 40 days, is it 40 minutes each day or is it for 40 seconds with 40 friends and family members? Join the #Hulahoophipchallenge and see if you can beat #TeamSteps! Set up your page here => https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/hulahoophipchallenge?invite=true
- Join the #ddhwarrior colour me in campaign. We want to know how many #ddhwarriors we have out there. Be as creative as possible in colouring in the poster, add your name and where you are from! Take a photo and send it to Steps Charity Worldwide via PM or to email@example.com! Every photo will be added to our #ddhwarrior montage which will be revealed at our 40th anniversary event!
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and remember ‘we don’t take walking for granted’
The Steps Team